Greenwich Tritons Juniors
Greenwich Tritons has a Junior section for 9 – 18 year olds.
Full Junior Members pay £50/month and can attend any and all sessions free of charge.
There is no minimum attendance requirement.
Send us an email and we’ll be in touch if you’d like more information.
All of the coaches involved with the Junior section hold British Triathlon coaching qualifications and current DBS credentials.
If you would like to find out what one of our training is like please come along to a couple of our sessions and join in! Please email us to check availability.
Our swim bike and run sessions are designed to get athletes ready for the demands of age group racing. Typical race distances are:
- 9-10 years: 150m / 4km / 1.2km
- 11-12 years: 200m / 6km / 1.8km
- 13-14 years: 300m / 8km / 2.4km
- 15-16 years: 400m / 10km / 2.5km
Please note that we do not operate a ‘learn to swim’ programme. Our sessions are triathlon specific and primarily about building endurance for swimmers that have already mastered the fundamentals of freestyle swimming (ASA Level 7). If your child is interested in coming to our swim sessions please contact us so that we can arrange a trial (100m continuous swimming for 9-12 year olds, 200m for older children) to ensure that they are at the appropriate standard. If your child does not meet our minimum standard we recommend that they join a club that offers a structured ASA learn to swim programme before coming to Tritons’ swim sessions.
We get lots of questions about the cycling sessions – how good a cyclist do I have to be? do I need a fancy racing bike? etc. We are able to cater for a wide range of cycling abilities at Herne Hill but to benefit from these sessions you should be able to ride safely and have mastered basic handling skills – ride in a straight line, follow a line round a bend, and turn a corner, brake and stop under control. Any bike is fine as long as it is roadworthy and the right size for you.
Our current training programme is as follows:
- Tuesday Evening – swim 5-6pm at Charlton Lido
- Wednesday Evening – Running 5-6pm at Sutcliffe Park track
- Thursday Evening – virtual Turbo session on Zoom 6-7pm (check members’ WhatsApp for the zoom link)
- Sunday Morning – Cycling at Herne Hill Velodrome 9-11am
- Sunday Evening – Swimming at Eltham College 7-8pm. You will need a kick board, pull buoy and fins.
All regular training sessions are free for Full members.
Parking at Sutcliffe Park is £1/hour. Free parking is available at all other training venues (on street at Charlton Lido).
Ad hoc sessions for members include:
- Monthly road ride (14+)
- Off-road running in Oxleas Wood
- Road cycling at Cyclopark
- Wattbike sessions at Cadence in Crystal Palace
- Open water swim practice in Dartford and Docklands
These are advertised on the members’ WhatsApp group.